Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Lost Images found again


Dusting off a big box of old negatives and slides from my Gamma-Liaison days, I managed to discover a hidden sleeve of negatives that I have given up for lost. It was a coverage that I would never forget...

I remember I just came from a provincial sortie of then President Corazon Aquino. I remember it was January 22, 1987. Me and Vin Toledo, a fellow photojournalist was trying to catch up with a group of militant groups who staged a protest rally in Central Manila. There was nothing worth shooting at the event and so we decided to proceed to Mendiola bridge near the Presidential Palace where thousands of farmers from the Southern Tagalog region were holding a big rally. As soon as we got there, we were welcomed by a storm of empty bottles flying through the air and flocks of protesters rinning towards our direction.I wiggled throug the onrushing crowd and when I finally reached ground zero, I witnessed the unfolding of these following images.

No comments: